Description

A creativity blog - including reviews, photographs and discussion on a variety of things; such as dragons and other things almost but not quite completely entirely unlike tea.

Sunday, 13 October 2013

Grandma Anni's cream cake




So. One of the prettiest renditions of this particular cake recipe of mine. Or, it's not mine, but Grandma Anni's. I once read in Pirkka, or someplace else where they often have baking and cooking recipes, that you're supposed to name a cake recipe after the person you got it from. If going by that rule I should then probably call this Mom's cream cake, as this is the cake my mom would bake, two of them, every single weekend when I was growing up and there were three older brothers and my dad also there to eat their fill. It is still this particular cake mix that tastes like childhood to me. But my mom got the recipe from my father's mother, grandma Anni, so I'm calling this Anni-mummun kermakakku, or Grandma Anni's cream cake, because of that. I don't think I've ever had this cake as made by my granny though, but the ones my mom makes are just heavenly, and I think I'm getting nearer to her level each time I bake one or two of these. Sometimes I also call this "the miracle cake" because no matter how badly it seems to fail, it never quite does. Fail, that is.

I don't always understand the cake logic though. This time round, I made two cakes, in the picture is the first one out of the oven. While making the mix, it seemed to get a bit too thick in my opinion, but it evened out nicely into the form and rose well in the oven and ended up being really soft, making it a real careful operation to lift and get inside a plastic bag. It also fell away from the form all by itself. The other one I made felt so much better in the mixing phase, it was fluffy, soft and easy to get nice and tidy into the form. But then it seemed to stick to the bottom of the form more, it was a pain to get out without slicing it up and it also felt to be thicker and heavier than the earlier one. I managed to get it out nicely though, with the help of a wet towel and careful knife-work.

The recipe, in all it's simplicity is as follows:

Break four eggs into a mixing bowl, add two coffee cups of sugar (these would be around 1,5dl - my granny always used coffee cups as measure, so even though the amounts were always a bit uneven, depending on the cup, they would be around the same in relation to one another) and whip until it resembles whipped cream. Add one cup of melted butter and one cup of cream (sour or not). In a separate bowl, mix together two cups of wheat flour, one teaspoon of baking soda, a half teaspoon (or so) of kardemumma and one teaspoon of cinnamon. Add the flour into the mix after mixing the butter and cream into it evenly. You might want to just "turn" the flour into the mix, but I'm always lazy and just use the same mixer, just at a bit lower speed. Hasn't been a disaster yet. Butter the sides of a form and flour them with oatmeal - gives the cake its pretty exterior. Heat up the oven to 150 degrees centigrade (preferably a little earlier than this! I often forget to do it myself...) and put the form, into which you've obviously poured the cake mix by now, in. Keep in 150 degrees until the mix rises to the edges of the form or max 20 minutes. After that, turn the heat up to 200 degrees. And then you're on your own, because I never seem to remember what is the "exact" time it needs to be there - I go a bit by feel, a bit by look and a bit by smell. I also stick in toothpicks to test whether it's good or not. One good way to tell is if the cake starts to be loose from the edges, but this doesn't always happen, as I witnessed today with the second cake. It doesn't matter if the crust gets a little black, as it's going to be at the bottom of the cake once you turn it out of the form. One time, I remember, I kept checking the cake at least fifty times, and never taking it out - I was baking it for a party or something and wanted it to be perfect - and the heat must have varied a lot inside the oven with me opening and closing the door so many times, but eventually, the cake turned out really nice. And that's one of the reasons I like to call it "the miracle cake".

No comments:

Post a Comment