Description

A creativity blog - including reviews, photographs and discussion on a variety of things; such as dragons and other things almost but not quite completely entirely unlike tea.

Sunday, 4 January 2015

Resolutionary!

Around these times last year I made some resolutions for the coming year and I suppose no one was more surprised than me when most of those resolutions were kept. So I thought I might as well go through those resolutions again and ponder upon some new ones as well. So, here goes.

Resolution #1 was to finish a book every two months or six books in the whole year. According to my last year's post, I was at the time reading A Dance with Dragons and had Blood and Bone waiting on my shelf... I read both of those books, along with the Hobbit, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, a couple Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple books from the library, Bröderna Lejonhjärta, Stormdancer, What If?, (most probably among some others I can't remember now) and I am currently reading two  books; The Rook and Introvert - Den Tysta Revolutionen. I don't count manga I've read this year into this list, although there have been a few of those too. In the beginning of the year I didn't read all that much, but I started reading more when I visited my local library for the first time after moving and then I bought some 10 or so new books on my holiday in Malta this autumn. And now, having just come back from London, my book count rose with another 10 or so books, so probably I'll get some books read this year too.

Resolution #2 was to finish a video game every two months or six games in the whole year. At the time of writing I had 10 games or more unfinished and I'm sad to say that out of those ten I've only managed to finish four - but then I played some other games as well. Counting from the unfinished games of last year's post I've finished Final Fantasy XIII-2, Lego Marvel Superheroes, Draw Slasher and Gravity Rush, along with Ni No Kuni, Tales of Graces f, Tales of Xillia and Lego Lord of the Rings, as well as Final Fantasy X, which I played again as a marathon game at a friend's birthday party in November. I think for this year I'm going to make the resolution of finishing more of my PS2 games, since I haven't really given that console much attention in the past year.

Resolution #3 was to finish a cross stitch chart page every two months or six pages in the whole year. As mentioned in an earlier Asiria post, I managed to get to the end of page seven in December and am currently working through page eight. I also began another cross stitch pattern, Tsuru Kame, which is about the same size as Asiria. I might post some updates on that one as well, but at the moment, I'm busy with the dragon's wings in Asiria.

Resolution #4 was to start learning Japanese, which I've done. I haven't progressed as far as I would have liked, but at least there's a start. My hiragana studies were quite fast and now I just need to continue on to katakana and kanji, as well as start learning some vocabulary and sentence structure. And as I just received a postcard from an old Japanese penpal of mine, I think I might get motivated to continue my studies this year too.

I made a note as well about my geocaching goals for last year, and it's a good thing I didn't make it into a resolution, as I'm still 22 finds shy of my goal of 200 finds... Oh well.

So for the coming year, I've come up with the following resolutions:

1. Finish at least two games on PS2. The selection includes Persona 3, Valkyria Profiles 2: Silmeria and Rogue Galaxy.

2. Finish the second row of Asiria.

And that's it. I'm probably going to be reading and geocaching and stuff anyway, so I won't be bothered to make resolutions about them. Last year I felt I hadn't done as much as I would have wanted to, so I made all these resolutions to force myself to be concentrate on things more and stop jumping from one form of entertainment to another. Hopefully I've now learnt to balance the things around somewhat. Here's hoping for a fantastic new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment